From protecting and enforcing a client’s intellectual property rights, to devising alternative solutions for raising capital, Stroock is a valuable choice for biotech/pharmaceutical companies and their investors. Our Corporate, Intellectual Property, Litigation and Real Estate groups all have experience in a range of issues facing life sciences.
Our representations, including those handled by attorneys prior to their joining the firm, have included:
- The Hartz Mountain Corporation in litigating its patent disputes, conducting clearance and infringement investigations and writing patent applications on many of its products, including its various insecticide formulations and methods of treatment for pets.
- Hamilton-Thorne Biosciences in developing their patent portfolio in the field of single cell nucleic acid amplification and developing a strategic partnering program with other intellectual property developers. This includes negotiating worldwide licensing and sponsored research agreements with universities and medical facilities to assist Hamilton-Thorne in the development of its patent estate; and in obtaining venture capital financing.
- H. Lundbeck A/S inprosecuting patents, providing client counseling and product investigations in the area of vaccine technology and receptor biology for the treatment of central nervous system disorders.
- Schwarz Pharma Inc./Kremers Urban in litigating ANDA Hatch-Waxman suits on the generic and branded sides for such drugs as the blockbuster omeprazole, as well as hyoscyamine sulfate and polyethylene glycol and in conducting due diligence and preparing clearance opinions.
- Johnson & Johnson/Ortho-McNeil in litigating an ANDA Hatch-Waxman case involving a combination famotidine/antacid formulation patent.
- Johnson & Johnson/Ortho-McNeil in an arbitration concerning erythropoietin peptide mimetics.
- Synthes U.S.A. Inc. in prosecuting patents, preparing opinions, conducting due diligence and litigating cases for Synthes' wide array of orthopedic devices and products, including chemical compounds and chemical preparations used in conjunction with Synthes' orthopedic devices and in orthopedic surgeries.
- Central Institute for Experimental Animals in a patent infringement litigation involving transgenic mice.
- Catalent Pharmaceutical inprosecuting patents for chemical formulations.
- FUJIFILM Medical in performing due diligence in connection with the acquisition of a medical imaging company.
- Sancilio & Co., Inc. in prosecuting patent applications for this recently-launched pharmaceutical research and development company.
- County Line Pharmaceuticals LLC in conducting due diligence and in preparing opinions for its specialty generic drug products.
- Molecular Biosystems, a wholly-owned subsidiary of our client, Alliance Pharmaceutical, in the successful defense against claims arising from an alleged breach of a license agreement in U.S. District Court.
- Summit VetPharm and Sumitomo Corporation of America in conducting clearance and infringement investigations and writing patent applications on its various insecticide formulations and methods of treatment for pets.
- Pigmentos Vegetales/PIVEG in successfully defending the company in an evidentiary hearing on a contempt motion relating to a chemical process for manufacturing lutein.
- Individual Heart Surgeon in filing patent applications for his inventions and negotiating a settlement with Medtronic over a patented medical device.
- Coagulation Sciences in filing patent applications and performing corporate and licensing services for company's process for setting postoperative blood thinner treatment.
- Zolaris BioSciences in filing patent applications and negotiating research agreements with Universities and National Laboratories over anti-biotic identification method.
- Marion Merrell Dow in an ITC proceeding involving the drug Cardizem®/diltiazem hydrochloride.
- Marion Merrell Dow in various ANDA Hatch-Waxman litigations throughout the country involving the blockbuster drug Seldane®.
- Warner-Lambert in successfully defending the pharmaceutical manufacturer in a trademark infringement action involving a line of herbal supplements under the trademark Quanterras.
- Ajinomoto Corporation as co-counsel in a patent litigation against Archer-Daniels Midland over genetically engineered bacteria.
- Alliance Pharmaceutical Corp. a pharmaceutical research and development company, in the sale of all its assets related to designing, developing, manufacturing, marketing, selling, licensing, supporting and maintaining its Imagent product to Photogen Technologies.
- Investment Companies providing due diligence including patent portfolio analysis of life sciences investment targets.
- Molecular Biosystems, a wholly owned subsidiary of our client, Alliance Pharmaceutical, in the successful defense against claims arising from an alleged breach of a license agreement in U.S. District Court.
- MHR Fund Management in its secured term loan agreement with Emisphere Technologies to aid the biopharmaceutical company in funding its clinical development programs.
- Alexandria Real Estate Equities in obtaining civic approvals to develop the East River Science Park, a $700 million, 872,000-square-foot bioscience center on the Bellevue Hospital campus in Manhattan.
Our Industry Involvement
Our attorneys have published on pharmaceutical and biotech patent litigation, lectured before the Society for Biomolecular Sciences, the New York Biotech Association, Harvard University’s Academic and Industrial Approaches to HTS & Drug Discovery Conference, ACI’s Biotech Patents Conference, the Life Sciences IP Due Diligence Forum and the National Forum on Preventing and Defending Pharmaceutical and Biotech Patent Litigation and regularly attended industry conferences and meetings.