Stroock is a leading law firm in the representation of financial institutions. All of Stroock’s practice areas work seamlessly together to provide these clients with practical and innovative results. Some highlights include:
- In 2008, Total Securitization named Stroock “Law Firm of the Year” in recognition of its innovative work in securitizations financial service companies. Stroock also received the same "Law Firm of the Year" honor from Securitization News in 2005. We have dedicated practices providing legal services relating to formation, capital raising, mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, dispositions and dissolutions;
- Stroock has a market leading Financial Services Litigation practice, which has defended hundreds of class actions brought against financial institutions within the past few years alone, addressing a wide range of class action-related issues; and
- We combine our core capabilities with complementary practices in Employee Benefits, Employment Law, Intellectual Property, Real Estate and Tax to meet the needs of our financial institution clients.
Our client base is both diverse and deep, and includes:
- More than 750 mutual funds, closed-end funds or ETFs (or their independent board members), with nearly $1 trillion in assets under management (approximately 7.5% of U.S. investment company assets), as well as investment advisers, industry service providers and unregistered pooled investment vehicles. Our experience with Alger, Apollo, Bank of America, Baron, BNY Mellon, Consulting Group Capital Markets, Credit Suisse, Dreyfus, Flaherty & Crumrine, GE, Harding Loevner, iShares, Lazard, Legg Mason, Macquarie, Merrill Lynch, MGI, Oppenheimer Alternative Funds, PennantPark, Third Avenue and UBS (to name a few).
- Commercial banks and thrifts in all types of transactions, litigation and regulatory matters. Clients have included Bank of America, Capital One Bank, Citibank, Israel Discount Bank of New York, JPMorgan Chase and Washington Mutual;
- Investment banks across the spectrum of legal services. Clients have included Goldman Sachs, ING Americas and Morgan Stanley;
- Credit card issuers and leasing companies, including defending these companies against hundreds of class actions in the last few years alone. Clients have included American Express, Dell Financial Services, L.P., Discover Bank, MBNA, TransUnion and Toyota Financial Services;
- Issuers and underwriters in over $500 billion in recent asset securitizations. Clients have included Banc of America Securities, FGIC, GMAC Mortgage Corporation, MBIA, Wachovia and Wells Fargo Home Mortgage; and
- Insurance and reinsurance companies in litigation and arbitration, capital markets and M & A transactions and regulatory matters. Clients have included Allianz, Atlantic Mutual, FGIC, Liberty Mutual, MBIA and XL Capital Assurance.