Stroock’s Corporate, Tax and Real Estate attorneys and provide a full range of services for our clients in the REIT (Real Estate Investment Trusts) market. This includes the whole life cycle of a REIT, from formation and operations, to major acquisitions and dispositions. Our attorneys have a comprehensive understanding of the myriad of tax provisions which impact on the formation and operation of a REIT. Real Estate Investment Trusts, written by two Stroock partners, is considered by many to be the industry standard.
Our REIT practice includes:
Our clients have included:
- Formation of public and private REITs and UPREITs;
- Initial public offerings (IPO), including representation of both issuers and underwriters;
- Public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, including preferred securities;
- Acquisitions, mergers and joint ventures;
- Secured and unsecured loan financings;
- Filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission;
- Continuous representation in the tax, corporate and real estate areas; and
- Representation of REITs in transactions outside the U.S.
Our representations have included: in its creation, its $290 million IPO and in all major financings and transactions, including Chelsea’s $5 billion merger with Simon Property Group;
- Public and private REITs of all sizes;
- REITs involved in different industries, including:
- Outlet shopping centers;
- Retail malls;
- Mortgage REITs;
- Residential property; and
Somera Capital Management in the acquisition of a diversified portfolio consisting of 47 properties with an original cost of over $1 billion; and
Cedar Shopping Centers in asset acquisitions.